Mary  Mendoza
Mary Mendoza asked:

This is another book club pick that I'm being forced to read. Not looking forward to it. Do you recommend a good stiff drink to help ease my pain?

To answer questions about Caleb's Crossing, please sign up.
Lynn I have a fondness for Brooks's writings, so I willingly chose this for my reading pleasure. It proved to be absorbing focusing on a period of history rarely dealt with in history or in historical fiction.
Jane Harris This was not a book club pick, but one I chose on my own. I felt that the beginning was a little slow, but once into it, found it to be a fascinating story, Well researched, and definitely worth reading,
Sarah Kernochan This is a review? You can be cruel and dismissive after writing it but not before.
Nancy I am probably too late to answer your question, but perhaps try the audio book. The narrator, Jennifer Ehle, got Bethia's voice just perfect and I really felt like I was listening to Bethia tell her story.
Lisa Daffy I read it for book club also and was dreading it. Found it to be a beautifully written book that tells a fascinating story.
Kim I wasn't looking forward to reading this book for my book club either. However, I really enjoyed it and found it hard to put down after I was about 50 or 60 pages into it. Hang in there; it's worth it!
Adele It was chosen by my book club also. I thought the beginning was interesting but a little slow. However, Brook brought the characters alive to me. There are incidents that another author might have built into an exciting climax but, because Bethia Mayfield, the narrator, has written the story in her later years, the incidents are subdued. After I read it, I learned it was inspired by a true story which made it even more interesting. I wish I had realized that early on.
Jean I loved this book and so did my husband. Wonderful characters.
Saltwaterdiva I'd go for the good stiff drink!
Kat Gantt Geraldine Brooks has written a very readable novel. I don't think you will need fortification to read it.
Primero Fin This is a wonderful book, I don't think any artificial measures are needed to read it. (My only complaint is that this book, like many other recent novels, is written in the form of a memoir - so the action always feel second-hand and not "live." I don't know if this style is easier to write or is in vogue right now, but from a reader's perspective this memoir style really takes the edge off of the drama.)
Image for Caleb's Crossing
by Geraldine Brooks (Goodreads Author)