Sarah
Sarah asked:

Would you compare this to The Lies of Locke Lamora?

To answer questions about Traitor's Blade, please sign up.
Mabari I hope it's okay if I butt in here- one thing I loved about Traitor's Blade was reading the exchanges and antics between Falcio, Kest, & Brasti. Those moments of camaraderie were not only frequently funny but went so far to show the trust and the friendship that the three have for each other. You come to understand how much they've been through together without a big, dry info-dump to tell you so.

This was something I loved in Lies of Locke Lamora as well. The group of thieves have the same sort of dynamic that make the characters very endearing. You root for them and worry about them, just like Castell's Magisters.

Anyway- that's just my two cents! If this was a question meant only for the author than I apologize, sorry!

But Coolcurry, if you're asking if you should read this because you enjoyed Lies of Locke Lamora, I would say yes!
Sebastien Castell I'm not really the best person to answer this question because, as an author, I'm too close to my own book. I've also only read a hundred pages or so of Lies of Locke Lamora so I don't know enough about where the story goes to comment. Sorry I can't be of more help!
Tien I'll butt in here an answer Coolcurry's question also. Traitor's Blade is so much better than Lies of Locke Lamora, which IMO is so overrated. None of the characters in LLM felt real to me and my impression from reading that book was that the author was trying to write a sardonic parody of a fantasy novel. Traitor's Blade also had lots of humor but there was no doubt that the author wanted to write a good old-fashioned heroic/fantasy novel with flawed but good heroes struggling to save their world from pure evil. I just finished Traitor's Blood and can't wait to read the second novel.
Nino Kaye No, the banter is not as good as Scott Lynch's stuff. The combat descriptions are out of this world (I doubt I've ever read swordfight scenes written better), but Locke made me laugh. As much as I love Fal-key-oh (looking forward to the third one), the humor is not on par with the Gentlemen Bastards. The movement, however, is easily better. The stories being told are enthralling as well.

/necro
Linda Wilson Yes absolutely! You will like this if you enjoyed Locke Lamora
Robin I enjoyed both, but I liked Lies more... which is saying a lot because I am prudish about language.
To me, Lies was much funnier... though to be completely honest I also related to the main character because he reminded me of someone close to me, so it may not be as funny to others. As someone else mentioned, Lies feels a bit like a sardonic parody though.
I do think that this book was better written. It feels more "real" in terms of conversation, narration and storyline. There were only a few times when I felt like the amount of conversation during a pivotal moment was clearly excessive (and they addressed all that talking too, which I liked). So, while it isn't as funny as Lies, I will say it is equally as enjoyable if you like strategic storylines and fantasy that is less "magical" and more alternate reality.
Image for Traitor's Blade
by Sebastien de Castell (Goodreads Author)