Megan Campbell

Is this a good read for a book club?

Kim Palsenbarg I have just finished reading this book and believe it should be required reading for all hospital administrators, medical personnel, professional communicators and anyone in crisis preparedness or risk management roles.

The best thing about this book is that the reader is not manipulated into 'taking sides'. The questions Ms Fink poses and points of view she outlines are presented clearly, factually and without prejudice. As a result it is an excellent book for a book club as it will open up a vigorous debate about society's values and difficult and challenging moral & ethical issues. However, be warned the subject matter - end of life care / the euthanasia debate / rationing resources - is likely to be highly controversial and will polarise people ... Make sure your book club is ready for a challenge like that!
LA Cantrell I'm a New Orleanian, so my opinion has a little bias. If your book club can manage a LONG read, then I'd say that this work of nonfiction would be outstanding to thing about and discuss. How a series of one mistake after another could lead to such dire straits is, if you view it objectively, fascinating - albeit in a horrible way. Other hospitals in the area had nearly identical problems but approached life-saving differently, and nearly no one perished. Poll your members!
Claire One of my coworkers book club just read this. She said the book elicited the most engaged and interesting conversation that club has had in 26 years. Made us want to read it.
April Yes and no. Yes because it would certainly be some seriously emotionally charged debating that would take place so this is a GREAT book for discussing these types of issues and bringing them to light. Having said that the book is long and very detailed-- exhaustively researched would be putting it lightly, so the only problem might be just getting through the book without getting sick of the subject matter being mulled over and over again from all angles.
Janet In a word, "yes"- Especially if there are any medical people in the book group. (or anyone who has been in a "critical care" situation). Sheri Fink is an investigative journalist, so the book is not biased, just factual. Subject matter is difficult, but necessary for all of us- IMHO! The last 150 pages in this fairly long book can be skimmed, I believe.
Jan
Cheryl Stewart Required reading for all who must prepare for a disaster, especially those in the medical field.
I, however will not finish the book, the last 100 pages just drag.
Image for Five Days at Memorial