Laurie
Laurie asked:

Is this appropriate for a 10 year old girl?

To answer questions about Follow the River, please sign up.
Becky Wright No, it was extremely difficult for me to read the graphic parts. Also, hard even as an adult to place the violence in context for the era and to think of the broader picture of both cultures.
Rachel Absolutely not. Not just the violence but some of the sexual feelings that are written as well. I wouldn't even have my 14 year old read this. It's quite graphic. I'd say this is more for a mature audience. Young adult to adult.
Julie No. The violence of the Indians is extremely graphic and detailed and even disturbed me at times. Save it for later.
Gwen Haaland Probably not due to the violence. I would say for those over 12 years of age. This is a powerful read about a brave woman who makes an almost unthinkable sacrifice for what she believes in. Based on a true story of mind over matter, ignoring pain and discomfort along the way.
Vicki Wertz I recommended it to my son when he was in 8th grade, and I remember he was distressed by some of the violence. There are a few scenes that are incredibly intense that I would not suggest for someone still in elementary school.
Kaitlin Moore Okay, this is probably super controversial but I'd say it largely depends on the child. I read it at fourteen and again this year at thirty five. I would say the violent scenes affected me more this read than it did when I was younger. I would think that ten would be probably too young for nearly every ten year old I know but I do think there would be exceptions and I do think its a worthwhile book. If you have your ten year old read it I'd read it along with them so you could discuss what's happing as far as violence, hatred, racism, identity etc. I do think regardless a child of that age would need to verbally process it but I'm not sure it's worse than many things you can catch on TV or movies.
Jennifer Buchmelter "Shawnee captive : the story of Mary Draper Ingles" is a book for younger readers. I have not yet read it but I would imagine that it isn't as graphic.
Image for Follow the River