Goodreads asked Willa Powell:

Willa Powell Growing up in the church, unchurched friends and classmates turned to me for answers about religion, as if I had answers. Yikes, what a heavy responsibility, especially since I was already a closet heretic!

Where was I supposed to turn for answers to my questions about the nature of God, faith and inspired purpose? I read a lot of contemporary theology, which helped me grow beyond the dogma of the church I grew up in, but was - and am - still lonely for a community to discuss spiritual issues beyond a strict adherence to church rules.

So, I put those questions into the mouths of characters who are more willing or more able to discuss them than are the people around me. Characters who are flawed, sinful, fallen away from the church they were raised in, and because they know it, aren't afraid to talk about it.

I hope to inspire similar conversations among my readers, however many or few there may be!