I want to read "Midnight's Children" next, but is it necessary or best to know the history behind India's revolution? Would I be totally lost because I'm not well versed on the subject? Or is the revolution just a jumping off point of the story?

To answer questions about Midnight's Children, please sign up.
Arvinder I read this book many moons ago, and it was a difficult read then. A little while back my husband and I decided to watch the movie. The movie moves along much quicker. Of course after watching the movie, my husband decided he would like to read it. He has been reading it and even after watching the movie is finding it to be a difficult read. It jumps around a lot. It is definitely a well written book worth muddling your way through.
Neeraj It is surely not a jumping off point but yes you can do away without knowing anything. The book itself will give you a few insights about them. Though you may miss out every now and then the wicked humor with which he has described about how the country was shaping into etc. Read it a little slowly and you will appreciate the hidden metaphors. Happy reading!
Image for Midnight's Children