j.m.Brigid Bello

One unanswered question I second--what is the significance of his name being Henry at the end of the book. The second unanswered question I have is who is the speaker in the prologue and of whom is he speaking? I did not understand how the prologue fit into the book.

To answer questions about The Ship of Brides, please sign up.
Pam Easley The only time I remember Nicol referred to as "Henry" is by his first wife when she writes him and tells him she has fallen in love with someone else. Perhaps the author gives the relationship between Nicol and Frances a solidity by her referring to him as "Henry" instead of Nicol or "marine".....
Marilyn The prologue was from the point of view of Frances as an old woman talking about how seeing the ship in India affected her. The "her" that it keeps referring to is not a woman, but the ship. It's basically what Frances was thinking when she saw it again after all those years.

I'm trying to figure out the Henry thing also. I vaguely remember something earlier in the book about his past--was there an allusion to his name in there? Can't remember, but I did notice that they never called him anything but Nicol or Marine in the story.
Image for The Ship of Brides
by Jojo Moyes (Goodreads Author)