Sandra Cuza
Sandra Cuza asked:

I am not familiar with this writer and would like to know why he is the greatest writer in the Spanish language. Greater than, say, Pablo Neruda, Gabriel Garcia Marquez or Isabella Allende or is it that his particular field short stories and he excels at that?

To answer questions about Collected Fictions, please sign up.
Robin Hi Sandra,

Sorry, I missed your question until today!

I'm no expert about Latin American literature, but I can tell you why I think Borges is so great. First off, he was writing in the category of magic realism before Marquez. He laid the groundwork for all kinds of new possibilities by reviving the classic traditions, like the epics DON QUIXOTE, THE ODYSSEY, and then playing philosophical havoc with them. As far as I know, he was one of the first genre blenders. He fused metaphysical and fantastical elements with the real, seducing the reader to believe what he was writing by way of footnotes and historical references. All this, with a blend of irony, humor, lyricism, that make his work unforgettable. At least, to me :-).
Image for Collected Fictions