Renee
Renee asked:

Did anyone else think that the 14 year old boy seemed out of place in terms of how he acted throughout the entire book?

To answer questions about A Sudden Light, please sign up.
Susy W He was a mature 14 year old but remember he was very well read and smart. He was a witty little thing. I enjoyed his narrative a lot.
Stephanie Trevor seemed to be 14 going on 40, but in the end we find out it is a father retelling the tale to his daughters. However, the dialogue of the 14-year-old, if it was really a flashback and he was speaking, just seemed to mature to be believable. That is the only reason I gave it a 4 instead of a 5. The story was pretty compelling, and I couldn't put it down.
Jackie The narrator, as well as all the characters, seemed to never settle on a personality. Was he a normal belligerant kid angry at his parents' breakup or a prodigy who was equal to or above the adults' levels of intelligence and wit? The aunt bothered me a lot. Was she a free spirit gypsy witch or a realist and harsh custodian of her father who resented her brother immensely for leaving them? I suppose if I had finished the book I might see what she was all about but honestly it just wasn't that interesting. I came for a ghost story but the characters were just too off-putting.
Stacy The story is told from Trevor when he is an adult looking back at this period of his life. He is able to take liberties that he would not have been able to do in present time at the age of 14.
Leanne The author addresses this in his interview at the end of (my copy) of the book. It makes sense that the adult Trevor would make the young Trevor more savvy than he probably was... wouldn't you? :)
Roboteq Trevor went from a brooding teenager to an inquisitive, intelligent young man able to accept the macabre goings on in the mansion within two chapters. I found his character completely incoherent from one chapter to the next.
Marni Yes. I read only the first 3 chapters, and that is one of the things that made me stop. The other was Serena being impossibly beautiful and quirky.
Gina I agree that he was a very mature 14 year old. Reading really enlightens an education and he was very intelligent. I really liked his character.
Jean Definitely YES. See my review
Image for A Sudden Light
by Garth Stein (Goodreads Author)