I've read only the first chapter and I'm not fascinated... Is he describing the operation and the outcome in all following chapters too or they are different?

Diana It shows the emotional toll the outcomes of operations, but more difficult in his mind, the decision to operate. It is an insight to the humanity of one surgeon, and the themes are shared among many doctors. It's not just a re-telling of multiple operations, but the lessons a surgeon has learned about himself and about how other people deal with death.
Kaya The first few chapters did not enthral me but I continued the read and ended up changing my opinion. As you read through the chapters you learn more about the surgeon, his work and his philosophy on life and death. It is a superb book which demonstrates the knowledge and empathy of the writer. It is also a great view into not only the human brain but also the human mind.
Maxine I found it all the same, and not fascinating. A lot of it was like a medical school lecture. I didn't think the consideration of ethics was very deep. No personal comment whatsoever on the recent practice of lobotomy, for example. And he talks about his own withholding of full information about risk from patients and their families, without discussing whether he is right to do that, only whether it's effective.
Iris Cada capítulo es un diagnóstico diferente, en él te explica de qué trata, cómo lo opera y una historia personal que tuvo con ese diagnóstico. Algunas de ellas son muy emotivas, pero a medida que vas avanzando es más interesante.
Left Coast Justin I liked this book so much that I immediately went to the library and found another book about brain surgery that you may find more interesting. The book is "Another Day in the Frontal Lobe," by Katrina Firlik, and while both spend plenty of time describing the brain and its (dys)functions, Dr. Firlik's book is much more weighted towards the totality of her experience as a neurosurgeon, while Dr. Marsh's book is much more focused on the surgery itself.

I loved both books, for different reasons. I felt both doctors were quite committed to improving the lives of their patients, and both lived by a credo that was actually spelled out in Dr. Firlik's book: "It isn't the surgeon who is taking the risk, but the patient."

For what it's worth, Dr. Firlik's book had better jokes. (Example: She mentions motorcycles, and goes on to say "...what we in the traumatic head injury business refer to as 'donorcycles'").
Tim I definitely warmed to the book and the author as the pages turned. In the end I thought a fascinating read. I worked in the hospital environment dealing with terminal patients, leukemic children and such for many years. This I thought a very interesting perspective of what most patients never consider. The mental anguish which can accompany working in such an environment, the struggle to balance empathy and clinical necessity. I would recommend anyone stuck on the first chapters, as indeed I was for a while, to persevere, I think that you will find it worth the effort.
Leah Pernat I'm an ICU nurse in a large metro hospital & take care of these patients every day...love this perspective...
Image for Do No Harm