GomGommark
GomGommark asked:

I want to read all Tolkien's works this year. But I just don’t know what to read first. Silmarillion or Children of Hurin?

To answer questions about The Silmarillion, please sign up.
Conrad Haupt I read the Children of Hurin first (in my opinion mistakenly) and then the Silmarillion. I found that I had read the detailed encounter of Turin Turambar sufficiently that the parts in the Silmarillion regarding him were not as interesting as previously. I therefore suggest reading the Silmarillion first and then the Children of Hurin as it will give more detail to a story you then already know briefly.

Another option is to skip the chapter in the Silmarillion (in my edition it would be Chapter 11) and then read the Children of Hurin either instead of the chapter or after the Silmarillion.

The Silmarillion is also a very good foundation for understanding some of the context surrounding Turin and the line of Hurin's fate within Beleriand
MacNeil Fernandes Order from the http://www.tolkiensociety.org/

The Hobbit
The Lord of the Rings
The Adventures of Tom Bombadil
The Silmarillion
Unfinished Tales
The History of Middle-earth series (I prefer reading this as a reference book)
The Children of Húrin
Image for The Silmarillion