Ryan Johnson
Ryan Johnson asked:

So is this book indicative of Stephen Lawheads writing as a whole? I didn't care for this book so I'm wondering if it's worth checking out his other ones.

To answer questions about Taliesin, please sign up.
Tandy Brown Taliesin is a bit slower than the rest of the books in the series but it does help set the stage for the rest so you can make it through it, it makes the others more interesting. I did enjoy his Song of Albion series books more than this series so maybe try one of them.
Pam I'm not quite finished with this one, Ryan, but the way it is going, I won't be reading anymore in the cycle.
Jack Vasen I find it hard to predict how much I will like a particular book by Lawhead. In some ways it is typical, but Lawhead seems to find something new or different in each series.

One things in this book that does happen in some others is the gory battles and horrors of war.

The King Raven series is a unique take on the Robin Hood legend and for that reason has a novel appeal, but at times it seemed slow. The villains were extremely cruel. The Celtic Crusade series was also unusual and each book was an interesting adventure but they were extremely violent at times even gruesome. I did not like the first book Hall of the Dragon King and stopped there but it is much tamer and possibly YA. I was annoyed in the Bright Empire series that none of the books were a complete story and at least a couple did not deserve to be under separate cover. Yet overall it was another unusual story which taken as a whole was enjoyable. I read both this Pendragon series and the Paradise War years ago but all I remember is that my long term impression of Lawhead as a result is favorable. I'm rereading Pendragon.

My overall take is that Lawhead has unique ideas and stories, but sometimes they progress slowly.
Jeremiah Salyer The Dragon King trilogy was a fantastic read though I read it many years ago but now am 35. I think the Paradise War is pretty good to.
Gayle I read The Dragon King trilogy years ago and really loved it. Still in the beginning pages of this one though so no judgment yet.
Amanda I enjoyed Merlin more, and Arthur much less than the first two.
Pamela Bronson I liked this book much less than Byzantium, which is the only other of Lawhead's books I have read. Perhaps he matured as a writer in the 9 years in between. I didn't like the split narrative, the grammatical and mythological errors, or the ending. Byzantium is much better in just about every way.
Image for Taliesin