Sierra
Sierra asked:

Is this book as graphically violent as the Game of Thrones books? Is it essentially a rated R book?

Mary Ann Grennen It is violent because this period of history was violent. And again, "Game of Thrones" is fiction. The Wars of the Roses, although different authors may have different interpretations, is history.
Joshua It does describe some pretty graphic deaths. Since a number of the Kings were executing and torturing the political rivals. But I wouldn't call it "rated-R." Definitely "pg-13," though. The author doesn't attempt to describe gore or anything. But every now and then I found myself imagining the grim reality of a man driving a spear through the body of a real human being. I think the most "violent" descriptions were of a one on one dual in which a man's head was cleaved in two, and there were a few descirptions of intestines being burned in front of a victim, a family being forced to eat the flesh of their dead husband and father, and body parts being severed and sent to corners of the kingdom. Again though... the descriptions weren't any worse than what I just wrote, and it definitely is not written to glorify the violence.
Christine This is history. Real history. Violence is only recounted insofar as there were battles, etc.
Image for The Plantagenets
by Dan Jones (Goodreads Author)