I99
I99 asked:

Shouldn't this book be a bestseller?

To answer questions about Of Mice and Men, please sign up.
Dave Schaafsma I think Of Mice and Men IS still a bestseller, in that it is still read widely in schools, so that means a lot of copies are sold. But then, as others have pointed out, it is an older book, so it is surprising to see people widely still read it outside of school. As to "should" I guess with its focus on kindness, and particularly kindness to the poor and migratory people, I sure wish it were read as widely as possible.
Neha In a way your question is a perfect example of the things John Steinbeck writes about.
This socially acceptable yardstick which is commonly used to the measure the quality of an object - the book in this case - is in actuality a measure of only its financial success. Hence, I think whether the book was or was not a best-seller should have no effect on your perceptions of the book.
Jennifer A current bestseller? That's a bit of a strange gauge to measure a book's worth when it came out more than three-quarters of a century ago. If you're suggesting this book isn't a popular one, that's an incorrect statement.
Megan Lomas I think it was when it was first written in the 1930s
Adham Hassan
TREVOR HIRT I strongly agree
Jake I perseennee;ly think it should be best at teaxhing howtospell
Image for Of Mice and Men