Elizabeth G.
Elizabeth G. asked:

I was so disappointed about this book. It starts focusing on a strong woman and shifts suddenly to focusing on the no account man, while the woman goes crazy. Why is this book popular?

To answer questions about The Homesman, please sign up.
Robert Belew The fact that this story made a hard left turn is what set it apart.
It's really difficult for author's to come up with a "twist" in a storyline which isn't predictable and somewhat expected. This was not expected, for me anyway and, kept this story moving and fresh. This book was written prior to 1988 and has floated up to it's recent popularity for some reason.
Polly Hillier I liked it because I knew nothing outside of Laura Ingalls Wilder historic fiction of women of this time period in the Plains states...and mental illness of that era...it was a good book for me.
SaraB The only redeeming thing is that the man also goes crazy...
G. Jr. Author's vision I expect. I enjoyed the realism and although a bit of a predictable ending, several unexpected turns.
Jim Justice I have the same thought. Realism is perhaps the chosen answer, but that doesn't work for me. To me the answer lies in the quote: "frailty thy name is woman" which appears to be the author's guiding principle. Almost all of the women in this book go bonkers.
Image for The Homesman