Jeanne (jkcosmos) Cosmos

Author unable to engage reader in caring about character(s). Also, she is unable to move the plot; unable to see any theme or redeeming 'anything'. I feel that I wasted time on this one, when I could have read something else? Ugh!

To answer questions about Bellman & Black, please sign up.
Roxana Whitner Did you read the entire book? Especially the part the Rook played in the opening scene?
Orysia Nasar I completely disagree with the negative reviews. I thoroughly enjoyed Bellman and Black. Setterfield is a fabulously talented writer and I very much appreciated the Gothic, mythical, Victorian, existentialist atmosphere she set. I couldn’t put the book down once I started.
Rob
Carisa Burns I completely agree. I found the opening scene was just inaffective and it was a struggle right from the beginning for me to enjoy this book. What a shame. The first book by this author was incredible. It's almost as if someone else wrote this one.
Image for Bellman & Black
by Diane Setterfield (Goodreads Author)