Chuck
Chuck asked:

What is so important about this book that it was selected for the 2015 "The Big Read" in Virginia?

To answer questions about The Namesake, please sign up.
Maria The Big Read program selects books that broaden "our understanding of our world, our communities, and ourselves." The Namesake fits that criteria in that it takes place in three cities and two countries, and "examines the nuances involved with being caught between two conflicting cultures with highly distinct religious, social, and ideological differences." Written by a Pulitzer Prize-winning author and having been listed as a New York Times Notable Book, a Los Angeles Times Book Prize finalist, and selected as one of the best books of the year by USA Today and Entertainment Weekly, the book has wide appeal to a large number of readers.
Sumanta Banerjee You won't understand it until you read it...and if you are asking this even after reading the book then you haven't feel it.
Saanvi Honestly, I'm not sure. Read my review of this book. I won't be able to explain it all here. In summary, this book is a completely INACCURATE representation of Indian culture. The entire book is filled with instances where the main character engages in sexual behavior in his high school and college years -- something that would be considered a SHAME in Indian culture. I am not sure why this book even received a 3.99 rating or why it was even published, but I guess people will read any trash nowadays.
M.thomas I'm pretty sure this question was sarcastic
Danica I am sure there were better books out there tackling the same topic. Although the main theme is an everlasting problem of the first or second generation citizens (anywhere), this book is not a well written text. It will never be remembered as a masterpiece. I hope the author learns to tell less and show more.
Image for The Namesake