Jay
Jay asked:

Are the sequels worth reading?

To answer questions about The Pillars of the Earth, please sign up.
Miriam Majome He is working on the third and final in the series set to be released in 2017 as I heard/read somewhere and I'm sure we all look forward to it. I'm ashamed to say that I have not read the highly recommended World Without End although I definitely will. It's just that I read Pillars this year and some strong and trusted recommendations advised against ploughing into it so soon after Pillars so I'm giving it about a year and I agree because of the sheer power and gripping nature of Pillars which I'm still reveling in several months later so two at once will be too much.
Marla there is only one sequel and YES it is worth it. The World Without end. I believe he wrote it 20 years after the release of Pillars. I loved both and was shocked by how sad I was to say goodbye to this world when the books were done.
Rob Both are worth your time to read. I have read TPOTE four times over the years. It was used as a text book in my medieval history class in college.
Lisa YES! Loved this book and have already started reading the sequel!
Don Maker I loved Pillars, and eagerly read World Without End. About a third of the way through I realized this was simply another version of Pillars. The characters were a 'new generation', but they were all essentially the same. The plot was virtually the same. Read one or the other, but not both, because they are very nearly the same book.
Dara No. WWE is one long sequence of stupid characters doing things that are stupid, evil, or anachronistic. It's a matter of personal taste, but I read a third of it and literally threw the book away. It doesn't even merit a spot on my bookshelf.
Dina Absolutely, you will not be disappointed.
David Livingston A Column of Fire is coming Sept. 2017.
Debbie Yes absolutely! You should start with World Without End which is about the same cathedral but 200 years later. Then you could go on to more historical fiction from this author: Fall of Giants (run-up to WW1) and Winter of the World (WW2). A word of caution: I find his thrillers a waste of time.
Jeroen Dekker They are all readable. However, I do get the feeling I am reading the same story over and over again, with the only change being the time it is set in and the name of the characters. So it gets boring. So I would say no, there are way better books.
Becky Yes. And now the prequel is published.
A Hall
Robert Johnson I actually started with book #2 " World Without End" and loved it so much that I back up and read " Pillars of the Earth" and it was even better. I am now reading book #3 is another great experience. I highly recommend all three and have given them away as presents to my friends.
Zareen Yes, I believe that the other books in this series are worth reading.
I read them in reverse order, Column of Fire first, World Without End, second and the Pillars of the Earth first. I found similar themes running through each of the novels. I enjoyed all three of them very much.
Please see my review of The Pillars of The Earth.
Donna There is now a third sequel, Column of Fire. Haven't read it yet.
Michelle Gauci I consider this book to be one of my favorites .. we definitely get you hooked!
Image for The Pillars of the Earth
by Ken Follett (Goodreads Author)