Is this a good book?

To answer questions about A Great and Terrible Beauty, please sign up.
Karen Kimbrough I wasn't sure at first if I liked it or not. It's not as as full of the supernatural as the books I'm used to, but I kept reading. I was attracted to the themes of coming-of-age, tragedy, and the idea of bullies amid the Victorian era. It was high-fashion to be "into" elegant paranormal, so these young girls delving into something "more" was gothic yet cute(?) to them. They didn't know what they were doing. If you're looking for a scary novel, this really isn't it, but if something more intellectual, more like an old-fashioned 1940's movie is to your liking; you'll like it. I mean it's written so that a teen would understand it, but it's not just full of blood either. It is rather sad most of the time though. Despite that, I did like it.
Katarina yes it is so good
Graham Hollow The series has a slow start to be perfectly honest. Once you get midway through the first book, however, you just become hooked. I breezed through the second installment in like 2 weeks. I couldn't put it down, and read it every chance I got. The third book is the largest but it keeps the storyline interesting. It slows a slight bit in pace but manages to keep your interest. I love Libba Bray's style of writing and overall highly recommend this trilogy to those who like fantasy period pieces.
Becky Mccarty I read this book in high school. I remember loving it. For me, I think the was the excitement of the characters being away at a mysterious boarding school in Victorian times. I pictured almost a Hogwarts-esque type school. I also enjoyed the paranormal elements. It would be interesting to re -read this as an adult, since I would have a better understanding of Gemma's back story.
Lauren It was a pretty good book I give it about 3 stars. It was interesting and full of plot twists.
Bee Just wanted to comment on Ann saying she didn't like the writing. As she has not read the English version, I don't really see how that comment is helpful or relevant at all.

I just finished reading the novel, and the writing is clear and expressive. The story of the four girls struggling with the constraints of their society is something with which girls today can really identify. A well-written story that is worth the read.
Anne Personally, I didn't enjoy reading it. I like the story, but the writing was horrible. As I read a translation (Dutch version), it could be that the English version is better.
Sammi This is a great book.
Image for A Great and Terrible Beauty
by Libba Bray (Goodreads Author)