Arya
Arya asked:

Is this book appropriate for a 9 year old?

To answer questions about The Hunger Games, please sign up.
Blooregard No. I teach elementary school kids, and my professional opinion is definitely no. Not because of the violence or anything like that. Kids can see violence in video games and on the news, and the stories do not revolve around violence... But simply because he/she would be to young to enjoy it. When a book is of a more difficult reading level than what the child can handle, it will demotivate the child to read. And you want to avoid that. Keep to books within the child's age category, and let him/her read the young adults when he/she is a young adult (+/- age 15).
Emmiee I think so. I mean, it totally depends upon the person - maturity levels etc. but I don't see a problem. Definately read the book before watching the movie though - I would not say that the movie is appropriate for a 9-year-old, perhaps 11+ as although it's less violent in the way some of the deaths happen, I think it's inappropriate for a younger audience due to the fact that the violence is visible.
Ave Moore I would say 11-13, but definitely according to your maturity level. It's very intense and frightening for immature or unprepared kids, but it has a strong message. Maybe good for a parent-kid-together read!
Addison Dixon No. More like at least 13. It's very violent and bit intense.
Idalia Francisco Well, I would say it is for 12 and up, but anyone is welcome to read the book. But there are some parts where it becomes inappropriate for kids though.
Image for The Hunger Games