TheBohemianBookworm

Can this book be read first?

To answer questions about Fool's Assassin, please sign up.
Elizabeth Anne Technically, yes. However, it's more enjoyable if you've read the others in the Farseer and Tawny Man trilogies. I know this from experience, having accidentally read this one before any others; I was able to follow it okay and liked it pretty well by the end, but it was somewhat difficult to follow at times. (I sometimes had to re-read to piece together some of the characters' history, even though it was explained pretty clearly; it was just a lot of information to keep straight.) I then went back and read the Farseer and Tawny Man trilogies and then reread this one, and it was like going from black-and-white to color in that I cared so much more about the characters, understood their motivations more, etc.

Also, reading this first made it so I knew a lot of what happened to the characters in previous books already, and I prefer to be surprised. It didn't ruin the previous books for me, but I felt somewhat like I was rereading them. Now I'm going to read the Liveship Traders and the Rain Wild Chronicles, but I suspect I'll wish I'd read them in order all along.
Image for Fool's Assassin
by Robin Hobb (Goodreads Author)