Nicole
Nicole asked:

This book makes many references to Spanish-Americans, but so far I haven't seen one made to Mexican-Americans. My Mother lives in Santa Fe so I'm generally familiar with the population of the area, and I find this to be a curious omission. Is it just me or does anyone else find this to be a bit odd?

David Emigh I was born and raised in Los Alamos, my dad was the "least"of the 41 naval officers that worked on the telemetry Under "Deak" Parsons. Starting in Santa Fe going north through Espanola and ending in Chama, you have a string of towns that have pretty much kept their Spanish heritage and did not intermarry with the Tewa or other new world peoples. SO the road to Los Alamos and early locals that worked at Los Alamos were Spanish. The Mexican-Americans lived in places like Truchas, Pilar, and so on. It wasn't until I was in High School that I had classmates that were Mexican-American ( and my best friend Ernie Maestas was Mexican), though I had many that were Spanish. Only relatively recently have Mexican-Americans moved into the Rio Grande Basque areas. Just a side note, many of my Mexican friends speak no Spanish, sort of a personal revolt against the Pure bred Spanish.
Studebhawk The native culture of this area of New Mexico traces back to the old Spanish settlements led by Jesuit priests who attempted to convert the natives. The Acoma pueblo is an example.After several trips to the area we were fascinated by this cultural highlight.After the flight of so many Spanish born from the horrors of the Inquisition in Spain, we discovered traces of very old Jewish settlers in the Santa Fe area as well. The cultural mix and the history of old New Mexico settlers is a story that bears more understanding from our Anglo perspective.
Image for 109 East Palace