Yimmy
Yimmy asked:

Can somebody explain to me who wrote and sent the e-mail disgracing Coleman? Nathan doubted Delphine but I haven't found any confirmation of what I recall ! Thanks (the e-mail sent after the death of Coleman and Faunia) not the letter sent by Delphine, thank you for your explanations.

To answer questions about The Human Stain, please sign up.
Judy Wallace I don't think the reader is meant to know who wrote the clytemnestra memo. The point that Roth was making was that once the lie is out it remains out and will be repeated and repeated with nothing to rein it back. The email address could be tracked but what would be the point since the email was posted to the fac.discuss board, i.e., the entire faculty. Roth doesn't attribute the memo to Delphine but he does say Coleman's death was her salvation by allowing her to tell the lie in the first place. Zuckerman simply moves on by saying that in Athena, where the people are bored and jealous, the story will be told and retold because it is the nature of the people and the place.
Jesstifer
Nina I made the same assumption of Jesstifer: Arthur Sussman
Colette Guerin I will have to look again, but I thought it clear that Delphine sent the email. Like the letter, she could not keep herself from sending. She then made her office look like it was broken into and blamed Coleman. Is there another email you are referring too? My take is she felt rejected by Coleman. When first hired there, he was not attentive to her looks and did not make an advance on her as she thought he should, whether she really wanted a relationship or not. She did not like the way he dismissed her when it came to a student she felt he should have more sympathy for and give special attention to and then finding he fell for a woman her age and someone she thought intellectually inferior to her, her obsession with ruining him kicked into full gear. I don't think Roth is very sympathetic to women characters. Most prove to be inferior or antagonisic to the men in his novels in some way. Maybe I got it all wrong...
Image for The Human Stain