Anastasia
Anastasia asked:

Obsessed with The Book Thief, is this something that will measure up to my expectations?

To answer questions about I Am the Messenger, please sign up.
Diane They are so vastly different. Don't expect it to be anything like The Book Thief in terms of genre (not historical fiction) or perspective. But this book is a gem - unique, fun, and with a depth to it that sneaks up on you. I loved it.
Carolyn Nissi Very different than The Book Thief. Comparing the two would be comparing apples to oranges. It started a bit slow, I thought, but not for long. It got better and better as the story progressed. Thought-provoking in its own way. Loved it.
Jeannie Hagy Like others have said, this is very different from The Book Thief. It's very unusual, and I liked it, but not as much as I liked The Book Thief.
Shredni This book was way better than the book theif!
Kriste It didn't for me....
Aruna I am about 150 pages into this book- almost right after reading The Book Thief. And getting mesmerised by the writers style of writing and story building skills.... What a let down .. can't really believe the author is the same. "I am the messenger" seems so juvenile and I am constantly thinking when will this book get interesting .. I'm sorry- can't get beyond this .. and dropping this book
Peyton Embrey Definitely. They are not alike in any way, but the style in both books is still enchanting.
Linda Davis Apples and oranges -- impossible to compare. But the prose is just as surprising. I ride high on a big wave as his words explode or sigh or just dribble right down the pages. I have never encountered a style like this before. Want more!
Joanna It's different from the book thief's style, but there's definitely similarities. I think you'll like it!
Aakanksha Kulkarni I had my expectations extremely high, after reading book thief. It was a little bit of a let down. Yes they are different kind of stories and this certainly is a must read - but it goes loose, a little, in the middle.
Corbie Jamieson It's a very different style of book. I was also Book Theif crazy and this wasn't quite as exciting / moving as I hoped it would be.. Still a good story, just a different direction with an odd ending.. Would still recommend, just don't over hype it!
Image for I Am the Messenger
by Markus Zusak (Goodreads Author)