wonder if anybody else views this book as dark humour/satire in in it´s widest possible sense? especially the shoot-out on the streets, explosions and then that hilarious confession to his lawyer via the phone .... that is when i wondered if this is possibly just a twisted black comedy.

To answer questions about American Psycho, please sign up.
Lara I saw the humour threaded throughout the entire novel. Ellis alternates between excessively black humour and a more tragic kind of honesty. He's incredibly mocking and satirical, but ultimately he makes a serious statement.
Timothy Congrats!!
You're exactly right about the real genre of this book! And that's no mean feat eithuh, bro. I'd say less than one in ten or so peeps who be readin this book actually understand that all that crazy shite Bateman says he did is really........
Yep. In his head. He didn't really do any of it.
This should been apparent in the movie when he blew up the cop car near da end. For people, that is, who didn't get it earlier. But amazingly, even most movie viewers thought even that absurd situation was real!
Whole thing was a satirecon how all those 80s corporate suits and yupsters were so blase and sterile and robot like and devoid of personality they were interchangeable. And invisible to many. That's why the part about Patric and his cronies always mistaking each other for someone else.
Whole book was a cry for help by Bateman.
As a student of the book and it's whole premise and purpose....I did Psych thesis in college on it...it's heartening to see someone else finally get it.
Thanks.
Paul Peterson There was some humor buried within the book, but I only detected it in disconnected instances here and there. I think the shoot-out, the confession, the scene where Bates runs up and down the avenue screaming with his "cape" flapping in the wind are just illustrations of his state of mind as he draws nearer his total crack-up. Bates does draw on modern pop culture and incorporate it into his psyche, as we all do, and there is a humorous juxtaposition between our reality and his throughout.
Marian Absolutely – I found myself laughing out loud at parts of it !
Íris I think that in the end - SPOILER ALERT - it's just the ramblings of a pseudo-psychopath. His true problem was just a mental disease - schizofrenia, I guess - that was being neglected and beaten up with alchool and drugs until all he lived in his head became too real to him, even though it wasn't.
The sparse humor in the pages doesn't lead me to believe it was, as a whole, a work of dark humor. But it was definitely a relief to see a joke thrown in here and there. Made the book a little bit more bearable, because the gory and bloody descriptions are just too much to most readers.
Cole Carey I am just utterly insane so I found it quite relatable. Just kidding lol I agree though, like I will be talking about the book with someone and everyone else is always like "ewww gross why would you ever like a book like that you maniac" but if they just gave it a chance they would understand.
Sharyn Simcox I definitely view AMerican Psycho as a dark comedy.However it offers some very serious insight into part of our culture
Lisa Mcbroom I consider Easton Ellis both a social critic and a socially cynical critic Yes I think it was dark comedy.... brutal but dark comedy. I must admit some of the things I had to skip over. The movie version is excellant!!!!
Corbyn I can't remember the exact title of the chapter, but there is one scene wherein Patrick has a psychotic break, shoplifts a canned ham and eats it with his hands in the lobby of a building that he doesn't live in. He proceeds to knock over a fruit cart and run down the streets 'screaming like a banshee'.

I think this chapter was the most hilarious in the book, and the one that, after reading, I came to the same conclusion that you did.
Tori While this is a book riddled with juxtaposition and dark satire, some of it is meant to genuinely not be. Though the satire is used fully to remark on this idea of how Ellis views the society he lives in by taking the form of Bateman. He covers his satire with a realist idea of Patrick being crazy, though he's careful not to let Patrick become anything specific for the sake of the darkest possible satire he could create. Though if you want the truth, I'm not too sure that Ellis meant to create a satire as he's been caught saying that Bateman often reminded him of himself and that is why Bateman later dies in the book that Ellis wrote with himself as the main character.
Image for American Psycho