Brett Jobling
Brett Jobling asked:

I'd like to know why 18 people have rated a book that hasn't been published and therefore haven't read?

To answer questions about A Suitable Girl, please sign up.
Michel Avenali It is actually a quite common occurrence on Goodreads. People rate upcoming books that have yet to be published based on their expectations or their feelings for the previous ones. It's similar in theory to "liking" it on other social media. Silly, I know, but it happens all the time.
Myrrah ヽ(*⌒▽⌒*) man you just made my day with that question
dreda l kenline Right?! There are NO copies of this mythical book yet. He is still in the process of writing. wishful thinking on the part of readers.
Carol And the REAL reason is: Advance copies are made aailable for people to read and review.
Rosalind Dawes Because he is a brilliant writer, and Suitable Boy was a hugely successful novel. I can't wait for the sequel.
Liam O'Leary There aren't any advanced copies available, he's still writing it. I think it's a flaw on the part of GoodReads to allow people to rate books without publication dates. I'm suspicious of why it hasn't been resolved after this time...
ReadingFrog While I do agree with what Rosalind said, I also think it has to do with the fact that some editions of A Suitable Boy were published in multiple volumes, and some people may be confusing those volumes with a completely separate sequel. If you look at the series page there is also a third book listed, even though there is no book number three published yet.
Image for A Suitable Girl