Susan Dineen
Susan Dineen asked:

Why are the men in the book such mean characters?

To answer questions about Helena: An Odyssey, please sign up.
Carolyn Taylor-Watts I intended all my characters to be complex, nuanced, people. They had flaws, yes, but each lived in a male-dominated culture in a particular historical time. I wanted to show what they believed, how they felt, how they were driven by their belief in a mythical past. To me only one was really unpleasant, and in spite of their flaws I felt very deeply for all the others, even the rake Christos.
At some point in their married life, his wife Melina was heard muttering to herself: "Ah, Christos, you are a funny man. You make me to laugh and sing, but also to weep. You snap your fingers and think the good things will come. Already you don’t find me beautiful like when we were married. I see you watching the girls go by; I hear my Mama say, how stupid can this Christos be? Already he’s got the best looking woman in Patras and what can he want with others? When she accused him of unfaithfulness, he swore he could love many women as well as her, same as always. Some women are cold and hungry, he said. All need to be loved and none should be without.
Harsh to his children in the manner of his own upbringing, he also loved them with all the exuberance of his being. He was passionate about all of life, his vision of it an intense and weight one, an elemental man who felt rain, the sun, the wind prickling his skin, the grass beneath his feet ...

Image for Helena
by Carolyn Taylor-Watts (Goodreads Author)