Dana Curley
Dana Curley asked:

Is this book appropriate for my smart, 8th grade daughter?

To answer questions about 100 Sideways Miles, please sign up.
Deb Day I teach 8th graders. This book went through my class like a rocket. They all loved it, boys and girls. Yes, there are some parts that some would say are inappropriate, but it's what kids live and hear every day. Introduce your daughter to Andrew Smith. He's an amazing author.
lucky little cat Probably not. Smith's great at getting inside teenaged guys' heads. So this book has a good bit of talk (okay, a LOT of talk) of boners, hand jobs, condom purchase, etc. The story is actually sweet and pretty darned innocent, and features a first-love story between the main character, Finn, and a smart, well-written young woman, Julia. But I'd recommend it for 16 and up.

For smart 8th-grade girls I'd recommend Saffy's Angel, Every Soul a Star, Seraphina, Okay for Now, A Great and Terrible Beauty, and The Name of the Star.
Anthony Tang
Bethann Martin Absolutely not. I do not believe that all teenage boys speak and act like this, and was disgusted that this book was an Audiobook Sync recommendation for 13+. I teach junior high and work with scouts 12 through 18 and would never stand for this kind of talk and behavior. If it was a movie, it would be rated R. I agree the story and concept was sweet and clever, but the constant focus on sex, hand jobs, boners, f bombs, s bombs etc really ruined it.
MELISSIA LENOX I agree w Deb Andrew Smith has a path way into the m!nds of teenage boys that can only enlighten and inform what she thinks she already knows about her teenage boy friends and boyfriends
Sami I am an 8th grade girl and I just finished this book and LOVED it! Yes, it is inappropriate at times, but if she is smart and (I'm assuming) has some knowledge on you know what, I think it is fine.
Image for 100 Sideways Miles