Maggie Anton
Maggie Anton asked:

Is Brec male or female, or does the author ever tell us?

To answer questions about Ancillary Sword, please sign up.
Fernanda Valério If I'm not mistaken, in the very begining of Ancillary Justice someone in the Nilt bar call her a little girl in the local language that uses gender markers. Breq also references Seivarden as male in that same language, though she's not sure if he is male, just guessing so it doesn't sound strange to locals. Those were the only two main characters I remember being indicated as male/female...
Mitrovic Marko I red two and a half books (couldn't force myself to finish the third) and I never asked myself that question. It say a lot about Breq and even more about the books.
Nigel Breq is a ship, and therefore genderless. Breq is actually Justice of Toren. However, Justice of Toren inhabits many bodies (ancillaries), and one of them, Breq, is all that ends up surviving. The ancillary body that is Breq I believe is female.
Kenneth Hindle-May She's female - she states that her remaining body is female quite early in Ancillary Justice. Her female anatomy is also frequently referenced in the accompanying short story, She Commands Me and I Obey.
Michael Besides Seivarden, the Doctor in Ancillary Justice is also a male. The rest are pretty ambiguous.
Tensegrity Disagree with Michael--I saw no indication that Breq is physically female. The only way we'd know is if someone addressed her in a non-Radch language. But maybe that happened and I missed it.
Michael Breq's body seems to be physically female. However, her consciousness is still that of a genderless AI. In the past, she was distributed amongst hundreds of bodies, both male and female.
Image for Ancillary Sword
by Ann Leckie (Goodreads Author)