Carole Parkinson

I think it was too long and drawn out, as was the Goldfinch. Is this a trend?

To answer questions about The Paying Guests, please sign up.
Karen I think it's not a trend, just a question of taste. The length worked great for me. When I like a book, I don't want it to end! And I love detail.
Emily Hooper I just started reading The Paying Guests, and I absolutely loved the Goldfinch. It was so tender and gripping and an emotional journey. It makes me sad to constantly read negative reviews with the main reason being "too long and drawn out". Literature is an art. It requires patience and time, and an open mind. So many readers now are just looking for quick fix, instant entertainment-type books (Hello Girl on the Train). I love a story that settles in my bones, that sometimes I question and don't understand. I plan on reading the Goldfinch again in the next few years. Maybe I'm just too much of a romantic.
Becky Harris Carole, I totally agree. I was constantly skipping ahead. It was as though it was written in the tradition of Vanity Fair or Middlemarch, where it was stretched out to be published in pieces in periodicals or something (or at least I think that was what the deal was with those, it's been a long time since the old English major and my brain is mush now).

BTW, I pre-ordered The Goldfinch years ago and have yet to get past page 100. Thought I was the only one who wasn't just raving about it.
David James Agreed, but less boring than The Goldfinch. It had real sex in it - and lesbian sex at that.
Mary
Joanne I absolutely adored the little stranger as I'd never read a thriller before and found it very quick to devour - despite not being what I would call dazzling writing. I found this book beautifully written but like you too drawn out - the fact that there was no real mystery to it I think was a factor - however I love Waters metaphors for feelings and small moments
Laura Fishlock I felt like there was such a long discussion of the "mystery" of her past without enough bang when it was revealed. Instead of building mystery and intrigue I found it to just make me frustrated.
Brenda Woodford I agree. Some of the description could be shorter.
Ms Lee Both were well written excellent books and both far too long. The Goldfinch should have ended at least 150 pages sooner. The Paying Guests would have been better if the first half about the relationship were half as long and if the second half about the trial were half as long.
Image for The Paying Guests