Judith
Judith asked:

To everyone who has read this book: I'm fourteen. Shoul I read it now, or wait?

To answer questions about Winter Garden, please sign up.
Olivia Trass I am thirteen and have just finished reading it. It depends what you're interested in, but I personally loved it :)
Betsy Gilliland I doubt you will like this at fourteen. If you are interested in the war between Russia and Germany and what life was like in the freezing temps and trying to survive, similar to Nazi Germany, then it would lend some insight and knowledge. I liked the parts about Alaska b/c we are taking a cruise there. Not sure the dynamics of mother/daughters would register with you at 14. Just sayin'...
Mona Yes, it would be great at any age it would be help you understand hardship and difficult choices .
I found it difficult to really like the characters at times.
Emily Rodolff I don't think is any reason that you shouldn't read it....but you may find the relationships between this mother and her adult daughters unrelatable.
Judith I actually like long books, so if I am going to read it, I think I will read the longer version, but maybe not already this year.
Anyway, thanks for the reactions!
Chris Notionless The book is a bit long (400+ pages) so it will require a decent commitment to get through, however, it's not a difficult read. I would personally recommend The Fighter by Greif, Jean-Jacques (2006). It's a much shorter variation of the same concepts. I couldn't put this book down, and it's short probably 200 pages. Let me know what you think!
Alison R. I say go for it. I think I would have liked this as a teenager as much as I did as an adult. :)
Josefa Wann If you need to ask, wait.
Shelley Sipe I wish more young people would read it to understand what people went through under Stalin.. Good for you Judith.. Have you read Jody Picoults book Second Glance?? Maybe put it on your list.. Keep reading, keep thinking
Image for Winter Garden
by Kristin Hannah (Goodreads Author)