Scott
Scott asked:

After the fiftheenth time they pushed back the release date by a week I went ahead and cancelled my pre-order. Any particular reason why they are jerking readers around so horribly? BTW, Amazon now says this book will not be released until August of 2015.

To answer questions about The Fifth Season, please sign up.
N.K. Jemisin That's weird. The release date was only changed once, from August 2014 to 2015. And that was announced almost a year ago, here and on all Orbit marketing materials: http://nkjemisin.com/2014/02/an-updat...

Sorry you're being jerked around, but I'm not sure by whom -- do you mean Goodreads? I'll speak to them about fixing the date. If it's someone else, please hit me up on Twitter or FB to tell me the problem.
Wayong Weiss Scott, The Fifth Season is *finally* released.

I'm still waiting for Charlie Fletcher's second book in his Oversight series, The Paradox, which is also published by Orbit. The Paradox's release date (& O'Malley's Stilleto -- 2nd in The Rook series) constantly changes as well.

Unfortunately, indie publishers, due to budget issues, changeover of editors, etc. (publishing field pays poorly so burnout & career change can affect employees of small press) can contribute to release dates.

And Amazon tends to change dates & cancel orders, especially with small press books. I tend to order from them if I can't get something locally or by independently run websites .
Kayty You may have already checked, but there is somewhat of an explanation written on N.K. Jemisin's website.
Image for The Fifth Season
by N.K. Jemisin (Goodreads Author)