What inspired you to write this tale?

To answer questions about The Legend of Waterhole Branch, please sign up.
Lucas Wright One upon a time, I had just returned from a two week winter vacation retreat to the Caribbean with a girl I was seeing. There wasn’t much seeing thereafter, but that is beside the point. I spent an insane amount of money on the luxurious vacation sparing no expense, and it turns out she wasn’t the one. Work is slow during the winter months, so I wasn’t working my usual weekends, but I was newly single and I figured that time would be best spent replacing what’s-her-name. I was actually looking forward to getting out on the town and getting back into the game. Everyone loves the chase. Well, a cursory glance at my bank account quickly revealed that I was not going to be gallivanting out on the town. Or anywhere. I did want any broke bachelor would do and I stocked up on peanut butter, jelly and bread. I figured this would keep me alive while I replenished the funds. It was during this time of poverty and boredom that I decided to write my story.

I sat down at my computer on a Saturday morning and starting banging out narrative describing each of the characters, their background, their interests, their conflicts, and how they might conquer all the challenges they faced. This particular weekend included a holiday on Monday, and by the end of the third day of writing, I had 25,000 words on papers. And probably twice that many spelling and grammatical errors. The following weekend, I decided that I didn’t like the fact that I had started the book in first person, and spent both Saturday and Sunday converting all the “I’s” to “he’s”. That was miserable. The next weekend, I went to New York for work and was able to take a girl out on a long distance blind date. I thought the date went well, but she effectively told me to get lost. I still had two full days in New York courtesy of my company and no money to spend, so I sat in a hotel room plowed through more plot. Within five weekends, during the course of the entire March Madness basketball tournament, I had completed the rough draft 90,000 word manuscript. I had more fun writing this book than I ever did going out to the bars chasing women. It was a great experience.

The moral of the story - don’t spend two weeks in the Caribbean with a woman unless you have a novel you want to write when you return and like peanut butter and jelly.
Image for The Legend of Waterhole Branch
by Lucas R. Wright (Goodreads Author)