Lillian Yee
Lillian Yee asked:

Why do you think the author decided to write a book that is so nonlinear that it confuses people? What do you think would happen if there was a way NOT to be abducted by Tralfmadorians? What is Billy's experiences really did happen? Would that mean that everyone is oblivious to the things going on around him?

To answer questions about Slaughterhouse-Five, please sign up.
DeeRae I was expecting historical fiction when I was recommended this book. I took it as a breath of fresh air on a much written about topic. It was very wild, but at the same time I just decided to appreciate its uniqueness. Maybe that's what the author was going for?

I believe though the author was conveying some of his own horrors. It's easier to convey something so intense this way?

If Billy really were kidnapped, I don't think it would mean everyone else is oblivious. I think it would just fit that there are different planes, different spheres of existance, and they have not had the triggers to be able to see.
Christian To me the nonlinear approach mirrors the way a normal person's mind tries to find a path around a horrific abnormal event - when none of your reasoning can explain the horror, why not try aliens? It is a way of saying this should not be possible in a world that makes sense; a powerful, if abstract, way of saying "this is far too much to bear". It took Vonnegut many years to find a way to creatively express the bombing of Dresden that he witnessed in real life, his great skill is that even this playful approach leaves you crying from the pain.
Image for Slaughterhouse-Five