Margaret Brooker

Hello Our book club has just finished reading Hanna's Daughters, and while we all enjoyed it by varying degrees, none of us could work out what the significance was when Anna was looking at Sophie's photographs, and asks Sophie "Have you always known?" This occurs on about the fourth last page of the book. Can anyone help?

To answer questions about Hanna's Daughters, please sign up.
Belinda I think the answer is simpler than it may seem. I believe it had to do with the beauty -- or answers -- in the details. Anna saw the detail in Sofie's photos, and recalled that she'd found peace when she began to notice the details in the world around her. Anna says, "I've just learned to," not "I've just learned," so clearly she's learned to do something...she's found peace in how she sees the world around her.
Daphne I know - I also was confused and frustrated by that. I thought it alluded to Anna's fears about Sophie's relationship with Anna's husband, but what was the thing she's always known? That they were just friends? She was actually a lesbian? That he was still deeply in love with Anna?
Bilwa Sawant Hmmm...I have The same question...
Image for Hanna's Daughters