Shannon S
Shannon S asked:

Does anyone recommend a particular translation of this book? I'd really love to read this, but I don't want to read a poor translation!

To answer questions about Les Liaisons dangereuses, please sign up.
Claudia Hi,
I just finished reading Les Liaisons Dangereuses, transalation by Douglas Parmee and loved it, I thought it was interpreted really well;

I haven’t read the original or other translations and hence can’t compare but I have immensely enjoyed reading this one.
Happy reading : )
Letitia I'm taking a class on this book with Professor Arnold Weinstein and he recommends the 1961 P.W.K. Stone translation. I am reading it right now (had to buy the paperback off Amazon as this translation is not available on Kindle). Compared to the few other versions I briefly skimmed, I found Stone's language more elegant and nuanced, and he leaves meticulous notes to help you understand the historical context. But if you're looking for no-frills, modern directness then this may not be the version for you.
Elysia Fionn YES! The translation by P.W. Stone. The other translations are annoying.
(Later note: I have just acquired and read the NY Public Library Collector's Edition, translated by Ernest Dowson, and it is verynearly as good as the P.W.K. Stone translation, although I have to say my loyalty still lies with Stone. The Dowson translation was published in 1998, the Stone translation in 1961. This is one of those cases where older is better.)
Ellen As a university student of the French language, I found the translation by Helen Constantine to be most accurate and enjoyable for the English language reader. It's a Penguin Classic edition and really conveys the message that de Laclos intended!
Joyce I loved the Helen Constantine translation, published by Penguin Classics. I think it is the most recent translation. Unfortunately it is not yet available in an e-book version.
Darin Stelting Ernest Dowson's translation (Barnes & Noble edition) is excellent.
Knitty Nanny Where do i find the translation
Isa I have both the Ernest Dowson and Richard Aldington translations, and I love them both! Aldington's translation is a bit more clear if you ask me, but I generally prefer Dowson's word choice.
Image for Les Liaisons dangereuses