Amanda
Amanda asked:

Ms Boyce, Have you read Stiff: The Curious Lives of Human Cadavers? There's a whole section on acquiring corpses. I thought of you and Honor Among Thieves.

To answer questions about Honor Among Thieves, please sign up.
Elizabeth That one was on my radar, but I never got around to reading it while writing Honor Among Thieves. My first source for learning about resurrectionists was The Regency Underworld by Donald A. Low, which includes a chapter called "The Medical Underworld." This put the idea in my head for a novel focused on grave robbers and the surgeons they worked for. I also relied on a book titled The Knife Man: Blood, Body Snatching, and the Birth of Modern Surgery by Wendy Moore, which is a biography of John Hunter, a London-based Scottish surgeon upon whom I patterned McCully, Brandon's mentor in Honor. A third source I found invaluable was Death, Dissection, and the Destitute by Ruth Richardson, from which I gleaned many interesting details, such as the sin-eating funeral rite I incorporated in the story.

Thanks for reminding me to bump Stiff up the reading list! Thanks, too, for your question, and I'm sorry you had to wait a year for the answer (why, why, WHY doesn't Goodreads give a ping about questions?!? *sob* I'll have to do better about checking for them.).
Image for Honor Among Thieves
by Elizabeth Boyce (Goodreads Author)