Laura Milvy
Laura Milvy asked:

Do you have to read them all or does Let Me Be Frank With You stand on it's own?

To answer questions about Let Me Be Frank With You, please sign up.
Marcy I vaguely recall having read The Sportswriter some decades ago, but without much recollection of it, am now reading Let me Be Frank....which does indeed stand on its own. I'm almost the exact same age as Frank Bascombe here (one year older), and I am finding this book so COMFORTING. I relate to so much about the character and the way he feels about life today, at this age, that it dissolves the inner castigations telling me I "should" be doing things differently, a voice I've unfortunately had around all my life. I'm almost done with the book, and might re-read it, so much am I loving this experience.
William Kennedy Those of us of a certain age, grow and change in a pattern that Frank Bascombe evokes. Each book is as fresh and magnetic as the one before as it explores the world he lives in. Frank Bascombe exists today not because of his past, but because he is alive today.

Each of Ford's books resonates with a reader that cares about recognizing themselves, or a brother, a father, an uncle, grandfather or friend. Readers of all ages will love this book.
Samantha This is the first Richard Ford book I've read. Bascombe, in the first person narrative, refers to events in his life that it is clear happened in previous books, but it didn't diminish my enjoyment of this book.
Ruth Olson I read Independence Day years ago. I think this is can easily be read on its own. I'm really enjoying the passages about aging because I can relate: Take care not to fall because it could kill you, to cite one example.
Jeff The books stand on their own but as with most trilogies it's best to read them all in succession in order to understand the backstories of the characters and situations.
Paul This is my first Bascombe book even though I am an avid Ford reader. I feel that one does not need a previous history of this character in order to enjoy this book. Ford is great at creating interesting characters and significant dialogue making this book both accessible and enjoyable regardless of previous Ford reading(s). Enjoy!
Robert I think the book stands on its two feet. But then I have read the entire Bascome work, so I do not have an unbiased opinion.
Image for Let Me Be Frank With You