i_sigh_less
i_sigh_less asked:

Do any of his books end on a more upbeat note? I have read "The City & The City" and "Perdido Street Station," and I think Mieville is a great writer, but I am not really fond of being depressed.

To answer questions about Perdido Street Station, please sign up.
Noora Embassytown is my favourite Mieville so far, and ends in a more positive note.
Dru Good question. Considering the month I invested in this book, and how long China takes to build up Lin and Yag (and Isaac) as HEROES, I feel cheated by China on how poorly he treats Lin and Yag in the end. I honestly can't ever see reading another of his books again because of this maltreatment of his READERS by screwing over characters he made us believe in.
Arkapravo Bhaumik Embassytown is not at all depressing, but really weird and it ends on a positive. When reading Embassytown, I felt as though it is a long poem on language - that is how good the prose is.
Chip Howell Railsea is positively...um...positive, given Miéville's penchant for darker, ambiguous, or pragmatic endings. The Last Days of New Paris offered a satisfying, happy-ish ending, sort of, as did Kraken. I think Kraken was the closest Miéville has ever gotten to an all-out romp with some real laugh-out-loud moments and a kicker ending that wasn't bleak. The funny thing is, I never thought of Miéville's endings as dark so much as...complex and multilayered.
Alice Un Lun Dun! It's written more as a YA novel, but it's a great adventure story with Mieville's customary imaginative flair, and definitely has an upbeat ending.
Mitch City and the City is pretty satisfying.
Rowan Read Railsea! I adored that book. I did not find the ending of that particular novel bleak or depressing. It was a wonderful ride.
Mike Perschon Gonna echo Roel and say Railsea. Ends as up as I've ever seen Mieville go.
Brandon Railsea and Kraken both ended on higher notes than his other books.
Robertpapier I find all his books very imanginative. He is not for everyone. His books are neither depressing or uplifting,but just odd. I'd like to talk to him and find out if he is like his books!
Mary I don't think Kraken was a downer.
Fenris The only novel I've read by Mieville is Railsea, and I absolutely loved it. I don't like to be depressed either, so now I'm wondering if I should give this novel a chance, based on some of the bad reviews I've read.
Tim Poston
Image for Perdido Street Station
by China Miéville (Goodreads Author)