Caleb Roney
Caleb Roney asked Erin Jade Lange:

Do you know anyone who would do what Marshall does in Butter?

Erin Jade Lange I don't personally know anyone who would do this (thank goodness!), but working as a journalist, I've covered many stories about young people who would, and in fact DID, do something similar.

So many stories in the news today about teen suicide also involve some element of the internet - whether it's a young man taking his own life on a live video feed or a girl posting a suicide note on youtube (both true stories). In every case, it seems the internet gave the teen a way to reach out - to call for help - but at the same time, the internet creates a distance between people that makes us less willing to help, as if the person on the other end of the connection is a fictional character we're watching on a screen instead of a real person in pain.

I hope if I ever suspected anyone in my life was capable of doing what Butter does that I would recognize the signs and be able to help.

Thanks for the great question!
Erin Jade Lange
286 followers