Goodreads asked Christie Maurer:

What’s the best thing about being a writer?

Christie Maurer I get to play god. It's such fun to create worlds, move mountains, change the course of rivers. I even get to create gods and the religions that evolve around them. And getting to know my characters, watching them grow from a vague role, a name, a situation, to complex personalities with their own feelings, interests, and dark sides.
And the surprises that pop out! Late one the afternoon I was writing the last scene of THE DARK LADY'S STONE, the coming-home banquet where everyone in the castle is gathered to celebrate. The Count stands up and announces, "Our troubadour, Sir Loriano, will tell you what happened."
Zilch! What the heck would he say?? I don't do poetry for spit.
It was dinnertime and I was hungry, so I took a break. I went to the kitchen and started to wash dishes... and Loriano started to recite epic verse in my head. So I dashed to the computer and took dictation. When the dust cleared, it needed very few tweaks. Had he been inspired by Tolkein's Sigrid and Gudrun? Who knows?