Goodreads asked Christie Maurer:

Christie Maurer I dunno. It had its roots back in the '70s and kind of evolved through various incarnations. Characters pop out on the page--a name, a situation, a description, a meaning, a needed role--and churn around in a whole mass of ideas.
When I started to rewrite DARK LADY'S TROUBADOUR around 2004-2005 I whacked out a 6,000 word story I hoped would generate interest in my world. I brought it to my critique group, who had a number of suggestions. I started to polish and got as far as an overnight stopover at a wilderness fortress. An old man appeared--the host had asked him to tell a story to entertain the guests--and he and his story transformed the whole thing into a 113,000 word novel, THE DARK LADY'S STONE.