Madiha (Paper Skies)

Does this book really live up to the hype?

To answer questions about The Winner's Curse, please sign up.
Kim I can't speak to the hype, but I can speak to the quality of the book. This is a very, very good YA fantasy. Superb world-building without info-dumping. Well-rounded characters and a romance that allows for the hero and heroine to actually get to know one another. Clean, spare writing that at times, especially toward the end, rises to lyrical beauty. Intelligent---I can't emphasize that enough---intelligent plotting and strategy (an essential but often sadly underdeveloped element of any book involving politics). Interesting, thought-provoking nuances of slavery, empires, war, and freedom. And an end that allows for the complexity of the book's cultures and characters and, while setting up for a sequel, also works well as the finish to a standalone volume. Of course, the above may not be your sort of book, but I hope this answer has at least offered a little insight into what kind of book it is.
Rhea Michelle Caballero definitely... no doubt about it
Alannie Marshall It depends on the type of story you enjoy. All I can say is for me, it was a perfect book.
Renz I absolutely loved this book, but I think the only flaw was the hype. For most people, it wasn't what they were expecting, and they found it rather slow-paced.
I don't know, but for me, it was beautifully written, the main character was smart and intellgent and wasn't annoying, the romance wasn't insta-love, and there are more "action" in the second half of the book. The first half was mostly building up the characters, the world-building, etc.
childermass Surprisingly, it did. Sometimes hype makes me not want to read the books since I've been "burned" too many times by hyped up books. So I went into this book with a mindset that I might not even finish it. But, if you are like me and like historical fantasy, a slow-burning romance, and a bit of adventure, then you may get sucked into the book and enjoy the ride like I did. Give it a chance for sure.
Hannah Evans yes, read it, just ignore the corny covers, its better than that :)
Amber It depends on the genre you are interested in. I don't read fantasy or romance (though I personally would not classify this book as fantasy), but I picked this one up to give it a shot, and I liked it! Its not my favorite book or author out there, but its worth the read.

Its an easy book to read, so if your in a slump or something and looking for a book you can finish in just a couple sittings than this one is good for that.
Jenna I personally am not one to read a book if theres a lot of hype about it. But this book was pretty dang good.
I 'm going to be as honest and real as I can about this so its not misleading to you if you do decide to read it. But it's really faced paced, there is a romance that is talked about in the synopsis but its not the normal YA insta-love, theres definitely a relationship that gets built between the two characters.
Also note that it is a "fantasy" novel but its still pretty relatable to regular humans as in it mostly deals with slavery just in another world. Some cons are that I felt the story was a biiiiit underdeveloped, when events happens I felt there could have a been a bit of a better explantation but honestly the story is so fast paced and interesting that you barely even notice it.
Definitely 4 out of 5 stars for me.
I hope you decide to read it!:)
Image for The Winner's Curse
by Marie Rutkoski (Goodreads Author)