Subhasri Pal
Subhasri Pal asked:

Still confused.Why did she even use a pseudonym? people were gonna know its her,anyway!

To answer questions about The Cuckoo's Calling, please sign up.
Jennifer Maloney I think it was because she wanted to see if she could be a mystery writer because she's good at it, rather than because she's the writer of the best-selling series of all time. Same reason Stephen King has an alias. Something about the fame makes people wonder if audiences actually like their work or are just buying it because of who they are.
Asti For me, it is so that (my) children will not ask this book for a present.
I know my children will try to swallow anything under the name of JK Rowling.
They (13 & 11) once tried to read The Casual Vacancy , and I had to convince them that the book is 'a boring adult story in compare to wizard world'.
Emma Rowling said that she wanted to write without people relating her to Harry Potter. It gives her more freedom as a writer and therefore people have no expectations going in. She was unknown as this pseudonym for about six months after the books release. Also have you read any of it? I read about half and with the amount of swearing that goes on in the book I wouldn't have had a clue if I didn't know when I started reading that it was J.K.R!
Elias Stephen King went by Richard Bachmann for his crime novels. Why can't JKR use a pseudonym for hers?
Madonna Valentine A lot of writers use a different name for different book sub-genres. Ruth Rendell writes under Barbara Vine when she is writing one of her "psychological" novels. It is so the reader knows what kind of novel they can expect. Barbara Vine novels are different in style to Ruth Rendell novels.
Meg Storer JK Rowling's previous novel, The Casual Vacancy, was pretty well panned due to all of the swearing coming from a "children's author" (at least, that's the impression I got) so she needed to distinguish herself from her kids books to successfully publish an adult crime/mystery series.
Jennifer How would people have known if it hadn't been leaked?
Anna Moreover, authors will often publish under a different name if they are well known for a particular type of work and want to switch genres - it send a clear message to readers so they don't feel tricked. In this case with a young readership it was particular wise as it's an adult series.
Winston Forrest An interesting question - for which I have one small answer.

Generally I prefer books written by men. Not exclusively - Patricia Cornwell for her first seven books wins every time. And Elizabeth George.

Nevertheless books by women authors have more small details and sometimes the story is delayed while the protagonist agonises over choices they have made. That can be entrancing but sometimes it is too much.

So I picked up Cuckoo"s Calling in the local library with no idea who Robert Galbraith is. And I am entranced. This is a very good book and I don't care who the author is.
Bekah It was either to get publicity and hype by "revealing" who Robert truly was or, my personal thought, is that JK wanted to try her hand at something totally different from Harry Potter in order to see how well she could do with a new name. HP is a huge series and she has a lot of fans who would jump at any book she wrote, regardless. Maybe she wanted to see if she could sell well without that baggage.
Danielle Bangs I believe she wanted to separate herself from the Harry Potter series.
Owen Lupton Because when people look at they would see the author's name ,right? anyway when poeple see the authors name they would think,oh,it's j.k wrote this book it must be about wizards, so she did a pseudonym so poeple will think I wonder what it's about so there's your answer.
Tl Wagener Very simple: Branding.

JK Rowling is a brand. Readers are loyal and know what to expect. Now Robert Galbraith is another brand. It gives the writer the freedom to write different genres for different audiences.

JK Rowling knew from the beginning how important authors' names are. That's why she didn't write as "Joanne."
Lorna In my opinion there is nothing wrong with an author using an alias and this indicates to reader the genre expected.
Alexandra Rowling wanted see how a book would be received without the safety net of her being the author of Harry Potter. In a way, she was testing herself.
Chel Some highly prolific writers use several names so it won't look like they are grinding out potboilers -- too many titles in too short a time hurts an author's hope of getting attention for each of them from reviewers (though I doubt JKR is concerned about that problem at this point). It's a common thing to do. And, as other responders noted, it's not usually about secrecy, but about writing in different genres or styles and signalling readers what to expect from a particular author identity. E.g., Elizabeth Peters wrote "realistic" murder mysteries; in her identity as Barbara Michaels, she wrote mysteries that had a supernatural element. Nora Roberts writes romances; her alter ego, J.D. Robb, writes futuristic murder mysteries. There are many examples.
Karen Wickham Stephen King said he wrote under a pseudonym to see if people would still buy his books if they didn't have his name on the cover. Of course he got rumbled eventually.
Ashley I'm noticing that there are a few women writers who write under male pseudonyms. I assume there was an underlying bias in readers when it comes to preferring suspense/murder mysteries written by males over females.

Another thought is that she may have been worried that people would choose to or not to read the book simple because of her name and not because of the story. Her fanbase for Harry Potter might not appreciate the book and those who don't like Harry Potter might not have given it a try otherwise. I know I probably wouldn't have..
Richard Jackson I recon its because she wanted to create a stir on twitter, i.e. tales of publishers turning her down and then kicking themselves later once they discovered the truth. This type of publicity then had the knock-on effect of her book instantly going straight to the top of the charts from about number 4025.
Enosh Collins It is damage limitation. Maybe it did not limit the damage significantly, even so, every little effort counts.

My point being, Cormoron Strike series is literally horrible by J. K. Rowling standards.

Those who watch the series, may not even realize Galbraith is JKR in the flesh.
Stephanie Her name is associated with children's/YA lit, which this is clearly not, so there needed to be a distinction. I am disappointed that she felt the need to use a masculine name to sell this genre though.
Jessica Carlson I think that the name "JK Rowling" is categorized as a children's writer, and that this is her 'adult name'. I doubt she wanted little children begging their parents for "The Cuckoo's Calling"
Arnault Duprez I think it was the same John Lennon wanted the Beatles to release an album under psudonym; to know if their nemawas still worth of the fame... By the way, someone used a pseudonym and won under boh his name two of the major Fenche literature prizes.
Janet M Because she was writing pure garbage this time. Sales were lousy until JK was revealed as the author. I know I was disappointed; hard to believe the same author penned the Potter series. It's like, well this one's for adults so let's include all the vulgar language we can and add all kinds of lovely details such as Strike's nose-picking and bowel habits. And on and on, ad nauseum.
Niamh I heard she apparently wanted to just write as someone else but had to reveal who she was later because no-one was buying Robert Galbraith.
Image for The Cuckoo's Calling