Goodreads asked Eric Ahrweiler:

What’s the best thing about being a writer?

Eric Ahrweiler I think the immediate thing that people think about writing is the freedom the job offers. If you are an author, your work is wherever your laptop is. This means you're free to travel wherever you please without showing up to a 9-5 job. I can't comment on this aspect of writing, since I have a steady 9-5 job, and write after work and on weekends.

For me, writing is an unbelievable opportunity to create quite literally whatever you want. I think that every single one of us likes to escape to different realities in our heads, whether it's imagining yourself as a Hollywood actor, or imagining what life would be like traveling through the vastness of outer space. Writers take these thoughts and make them real by putting them on paper. I fall in love with the stories I tell, and the feeling of being able to share these stories with others is indescribable.

Writing is also a way to immortalize yourself. 500 years from now, when I'm gone from this Earth, no one will remember a conversation I had at a bus stop, or a witty joke I told at a bar. But if I put a part of myself into a written book, someone 500 years from now could read that book, and connect with me, overstepping the boundaries of time.

I feel that I can create material that people will benefit from by freeing their imaginations and gripping them on a suspenseful journey through imagined worlds. Being able to share this people is the best part of writing.