Betsy
Betsy asked:

Good Goodreads folk, this question is addressed to those who read Independence Day without reading the first book in the trilogy, The Sportswriter: Did you find it hard to follow? Did you thoroughly enjoy the book on its own merits? Or hate it on its own merits? All feedback welcome if it's pertinent to my main goal, which is to determine if people can jump in on the second book without being baffled. Thanks!

To answer questions about Independence Day, please sign up.
Tom Wilkinson I just finished it and never read the first book. Of course, I can't really know what I may have missed or not understood, but I never felt lost or baffled by starting with the second book.

That said, I admire this book, but didn't love it. It has brilliant spots, huge ambition, and pithy insights galore, but really needed editing.
Meri I just finished without reading The Sportswriter first. I don't feel like I missed something but I didn't like it too much. Maybe if you were invested in the character of Frank Bascombe you would be willing to put up with the interminable writing.
Willie G I really enjoyed the Sportswriter, but began to lose interest in Independence Day about halfway through and the ending was like Lord of the Rings .. on and on and on ... I completely lost interest in Frank Bascombe. He is just useless and so is this book in the final analysis.
Matthew Pritchard I just read Independence Day without reading the first. I did not feel at any time that I was missing anything. The book worked well for me as a self-contained piece
Image for Independence Day