I this book really any good? I don't really like zombie books or movies, but I looked at this one and it seemed pretty good. Is it like other zombie books or is it better? Is there any suspense? Is it a horror story? is there any romance?

To answer questions about Raising Stony Mayhall, please sign up.
Lis Yes! It is NOT your typical zombie novel/movie/comic/show. It didn't pull me in immediately - during Stony's young childhood - but I couldn't put it down after THINGS HAPPEN early on. In fact, one of the highest points of praise I can give Gregory is that things always, always happen in his books - plots turn on big events rather than small ones that happen to be convenient for the plot. If you haven't read his other books, look them up - Afterparty and Pandemonium are my favorites.)

I honestly have no idea how to answer your other questions, except to say that it's definitely better than what I was expecting and what it sounds like you're expecting. Stony's a wonderful character to spend time with, although there's some competition, especially from the other zombies. Have you ever heard that the main character in a story is the one that changes the most? I've read a lot of coming-of-age books, and this is unusual and unusually compelling.

In some ways it's almost a political intrigue book. No romance, but a lot about love and family (blood, adopted, and created) and identity and belonging. It's a weird, unclassifiable book but I think you should give it a chance.
Image for Raising Stony Mayhall
by Daryl Gregory (Goodreads Author)