Ccac Captioning
Ccac Captioning asked Antony John:

By a roundabout route, we learned about your book yesterday (5 Flavors of Dumb) due to "deaf" subject - can you tell us if the book mentions captioning also? For any media, and for live events too? If so, we'd like to tell other networks about it. Deafness or hearing loss is not dumb of course - am sure you did not mean that :). LS/CCACaptioning.org

Antony John There is indeed a scene on a TV set that features captioning. In particular, the Deaf character is relying on the captions to follow what's unfolding on set. I think this is the only instance in the book.

No, there's no mention of captioning for live events in my book, though personally I have benefitted from outstanding captioning at some of my author events.

"Dumb" refers to the name of the rock band in the novel. Even in that context, however, the word could be construed as offensive. My hope is that this double-meaning will foster discussion among teens about the power of language and the need to guard against offensive and derogatory terms.

Thanks for the question!