Bromeliad
Bromeliad asked:

I was so completely besotted by her book Sleepwalking. I can't believe this came from the same author. Other than one line on the very first page, I found nothing to like; I found nothing even tolerable. EEEEEK. Stupid plot, corny scenes, lame ending -- it felt so amateurish I'd have sworn THIS was the one she wrote in her 20. Sleepwalking was enough to put her in a high pantheon for me. Anyone agree?

To answer questions about The Uncoupling, please sign up.
Amanda I actually have to disagree. Maybe because "The Uncoupling" is the first Meg Wolitzer book I've read (tried to read "The Interestings", but ironically stopped halfway through... not interesting enough). This plot does come dangerously close to corniness, and in the hands of a less capable author it would be unreadable. I think you cannot read this expecting a traditional "novel"; it's really a modern fable. Once I pegged it as a fable, I understood it and enjoyed it much more. I found it charming and character-driven. The plot device itself is weak, I definitely agree with that. If you can overlook that, however, you'll find really interesting perspectives from women in all stages of life and relationships, all facing the same issue of a sudden disinterest in sex. In the end it reveals the dichotomy of sex: how this socially taboo subject is at the same time monumentally important in defining our romantic relationships and our sense of ourselves as human beings. It's a good read if you like reading more about characters facing a common crisis than a strong, tight plot :)

But I do agree, the ending was lame. I'll try reading "Sleepwalking" soon...
Ellen Taylor I have to say so far halfway through I agree with Amanda, you definitely have to read it as a fable, not that Im always a big fan of fables, but that's what is goin on here.
Image for The Uncoupling