Betweenthelines

What is the motivation of the story?

To answer questions about The Trouble with Rescuing Zoe, please sign up.
Betweenthelines I’m the author of this story and having noticed an unfavorable review here, I thought to explain the motivation behind the story. Of course, the reviewer is entitled to their opinion and I respect that.

This story is my way of responding to a discussion where the point was argued that all issues relating to a pregnancy are solely the prerogative of the woman. After all, "it’s her body" was argued. I didn't want to touch the question of abortion (many people already have), but instead to explore the question of when a father becomes attached to his unborn child. After all, we all assume (or at least hope) all mothers love their babies. But what of the father? When does love begin? At birth?

From my experience, a father comes to feel attached to his unborn children. Obviously a mother has a special relationship with her child as she carries it in her womb, but is it reasonable to say that both the mother and father potentially go through similar transformations in accepting, loving and committing to their unborn child? Certainly our society has moved toward seeing both parents as having equal rights to their born children.

One argument for the woman having control of the pregnancy (and the father none) is that it is also her life potentially that is on the line. So, in this story, I wondered about a situation where a man would be asked to put his life on the line to save another’s. Does he have the right to choose? Is there an obligation, to even a stranger? So this is how, as you might guess from the cover, the story begins: there is a plane crash and a Harry is asked to risk his life to save the only other survivor, a young pregnant woman, Zoe.

Normally, you would think, that any man would put forth the effort and risk to save a fellow passenger. But Zoe is pregnant and plans to end her pregnancy. This goes against everything Harry believes in, and this is his dilemma.

“The Trouble with Rescuing Zoe” explores the relationship between Harry and this unborn child, as well as Zoe’s. It is an attempt to make the case that men alongside women have an interest in unborn children because ultimately, men and women both love their children (at least ideally).

The book reads as an adventure, but is also categorized as of interest to Christians for obvious reasons.

I hope you enjoy it.

Eric Schneider
Image for The Trouble with Rescuing Zoe